Thursday, October 13, 2005

Testify

tes·ti·fy
v. test·i·fied, test·i·fy·ing, test·i·fies
v. intr.
To make a declaration of truth or fact under oath; submit testimony: witnesses testifying before a grand jury.
To express or declare a strong belief, especially to make a declaration of faith.
To make a statement based on personal knowledge in support of an asserted fact; bear witness: the exhilaration of weightlessness, to which many astronauts have testified.
To serve as evidence: wreckage that testifies to the ferocity of the storm.

I'm interested in reading, and to that end, in also reading testimonials on Friendster, Hi5, insert-networking/dating/whatever-internet-site here that people write for their friends/colleagues.
I also enjoy reading blogs and articles that say this concert/artist/cd is the next big thing.

This morning talking with a friend, and we were laughing about the early days on the internet and what site would have on them, their appearance, etc. (I'm sure "blogs" are going to be a very 00 sort of thing, just like the electronica of the early 80s (hum axel f theme here) is now so dated.)

The thing with "testimonials" online with Friendster is that you get to approve whether it is seen or not. (this means you also may offend your testimonial friend by NOT accepting it) This rarely seems the case though, as I see lots of "shout out"s and really, uhm, that I wouldn't want "stated based on personal knowledge in support of an asserted fact..."
But that's just me.

Back to blogs and articles...Audio or commercial testimony-wise, I do like them (and it's a personal thing, as for the above paragraphs.) I thcan they cna be powerful and persuading. Have you ever made a decision for personal or professional business based on someone's opinion, suggestion? Really that's a testimony.
A good result from a good suggestion, you'll put more stock into what that person says. A recommendation that leads to a bad result will effect future recommendations, or taken "with a grain of salt."

I guess it boils down to trust in one's words or reputation. I don't mind saying that I believe Gil Shaham and Hilary Hahn to be the world's best living violinists. I've seen them play live and interviewed them, heard recordings and based my opinion. I'll gladly testify that. Therefore I say, go to that concert or get that recording.

I'll also testify that you should support WITF. Yes, make a pledge and support public radio, tv and everything that WITF does. The staff is some of the brightest and sweetest people I've worked with in my career. They inspire me and set the bar high for quality. Do it today!

No comments: