Sunday, May 11, 2008

Job Search 1

In December I was a finalist (1 of 4) for KUHF's Director of Cultural Programming in Houston (market #6).
I spent a day meting the staff and talking with the management. I had met Dean Dalton previously at a PRPD in San Antonio, and he knew my friend Joyce DiDonato when she was at Houston Opera.
Talking on the phone for the interview, we also had a good friend Andy Trudeau in common, when I worked at National Public Radio.
The day was long, flying out of Baltimore direct to Houston (see John on the plane upper right hand corner). A limo picked me up and took me to the University of Houston (John in the limo, pictured left). Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see my old professor Andrzej Grabiec who teaches there, but I did get to see the studios and hear a taping for an upcoming Christmas show (including the Revels!) [The Irish Tenors taped for a show that day as well, seen below left]
A lunch followed with the key players. Afterwards a few more questions and it was back to the airport.
They selected St. John Smyth for the gig, which probably bodes well for them and me. As it turns out, I had much more to offer other stations, as you'll read in the next few days. [Cool radio scultpure, they call "The Head" at KUHF's studios, pictured below right]

No comments: