Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tuesday

Be sure to check out my posting over on Composing Thoughts for Reich's 70th Birthday, it has links to the full interview with Steve Reich!

Great resource now available, NATIVE AMERICAN NEWS!
Follow this link to Native Voice One.

News about Anne-Sophie Mutter!
From MusicalAmerica:
Anne-Sophie Mutter Eyes Retirement
By Frank CadenheadMusicalAmerica.com
October 2, 2006
PARIS – Mega-star Anne-Sophie Mutter announced yesterday that she is quitting the stage. “Yes, yes, I said it. It is my plan to stop when I reach my 45th birthday,” the German-born violin virtuoso declared Sunday evening in an interview with the French-German television channel Arte. Only 43 on June 29, that would mean that her performing career ends in a little more than 20 months. “Nevertheless, it is not the precise date which counts,” she added, giving herself some leeway, “but rather a certain period of time at the end of which I will leave the scene before, behind my back, people dream of my retirement.”The televised segment of her “Mozart Project” with the Salzburg Camerata showed her stunning virtuosity and trademark intensity very much intact, of course. But it’s worth noting that Mutter has been a top-ranking, Grammy-winning soloist now for 30 years, now, despite her relative youth. Additionally, she has had her share of personal difficulties. Her first husband, Detlef Wunderlich, whom she married in 1989, died of cancer in 1995. She had two children by that marriage, Arabella (1990) and Richard (1994). In 2002 she married conductor Sir Andre Previn, 31 years her senior. A divorce was quietly announced last month. Discovered by Herbert von Karajan when she was only 13, Mutter began immediately to appear with the world’s top orchestras and in major recital series, making her American debut with Zubin Mehta and the New York Philharmonic in 1980. She has been awarded major honors from countries around the world and her vast repertory of recordings have routinely won top prizes. Asked what she would do after retiring she remarked: “Good Question. Music will be irreplaceable. It is life that will give me the answer. I did not plan to meet Karajan so early. My children are a gift of God. I had not planned to lose my husband after six years of marriage or live as a widow... I plan some small sonatas and the rest will come. I will try to remain faithful to my artistic ideals. We will see.”

I'm in awe of my coworkers doing such a great job on the school shooting that took place yesterday: WITF News site

No comments: