Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Bit of a bio

So, what do you think of this new, conversational bio, geared for kids and their teachers?
John Clare, Music Programmer/Host
I really started music in elementary school, after seeing violinist Itzahk Perlman play a concert. Afterwards, I wanted to play the violin too. I also remember around that same time seeing an opera and the effect it had on me – the voices and drama struck a chord, so to speak, for me. I don’t remember the specifics of the opera, just the impression of seeing it on the television in the library there in elementary school – it must have been fourth grade?
In junior high and high school, classical music was at the forefront of my studies. I went to the university for private lessons, and also used the music library frequently. I also enrolled in music theory classes, which led to composition lessons.
Later in college (Wichita State University) I began my broadcasting career, working on the station’s music library – entering cds to the database. I also trained as a board operator, which led to my first shift, runing the board for NPR’s Performance Today. Eventually it led to programming and hosting my own classical music show, The Music Room. Later I went to National Public Radio in Washington, D.C., but never gave up playing the violin. In Dallas a few years later I taught private violin/viola lessons and played in ensembles like the Shreveport Symphony and Abilene Philharmonic.
I joined the staff of WITF after working in fabulous Las Vegas at an all classical station, KCNV that I help build from the very start. I now play frequently in coffeeshops and cafes besides interviewing composers for Composing Thoughts.

Let me know what you think in the comments. Danke!

No comments: