Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Concerts

No doubt, I'm a classical music fan. And when it is live, I really think it's at its best. Since seeing Itzahk Perlman at an early age and picking up the violin, I'm been a fan of live classical music, even before being a member of AFM. (Last year I got to tell Perlman's daughter that he was responsible for my playing/love of music. A sweet girl, but she's no Itzahk on the piano. And I did give her some slack for 1.playing Chopin's 2nd Concerto - fluff! and 2. for being rather pregnant!) While I've heard Itzahk live since, I haven't interviewed him yet - one on my list (that's another blog! Musicians/personalities to interview...) BTW, have you heard his first album? It was released last year by RCA, it had been held back for a flashier concerto release, but has him in fine shape! These days Perlman is a better conductor I think, but still, what a sound!
Anyway, it shouldn't be a surprise that Friday night and Saturday evening you'll find me at the Whitaker Center and at the Forum hearing Concertante and the Harrisburg Symphony Orchestra, enjoying live classical music.

So why live music? I can hear all the works that these groups are doing at home, on my stereo. Why go out?

Well, first of all, it's supporting the groups. While ticket sales aren't always the bottom line, it doesn't hurt.
Moral support. A good thing - who wants to play for empty seats?
The excitement. Why go to a sporting event when you can watch it on tv? Same sorta concept - the environment, seeing others who enjoy the performance... Watching performers can be highly interesting!
The sound. While cd players and various sound systems reproduce music, it's not the exact same thing - really! Reproduced music is not the same EXACT sound as being there. (another topic should be making the sound and hearing it as the performer!)
The visual aspect of the music performance. By that I mean, how music is conveyed visually - literally. Take Poulenc's Concerto for Two Pianos...the first time I saw it performed (I had heard it with a score several times [another topic - listening to music with a score!] before seeing it live) you get the idea that Poulenc was having fun with the violins playing with the 1st soloist (all on the right side of the stage) and the cellos playing with the 2nd soloist (both on the left hand side of the stage) Visually and musically its stunning. Composers sometimes also include things like this in a score - if trumpets are off stage, or how they should be positioned. (another topic, the visual aspect of scores!)

Well, take my word and advice. See and hear classical music live. And you may even bump into me!

No comments: