These for me are the most memorable concerts for me over the last year...
10. Orchestra of St. Luke's Chamber Players @ Chelsea Art Museum.
An amazing festival from Joan Tower with the composers in attendance and the audience on their feet applauding, in a captivating space - who could ask for anything more?!
9. Joshua Bell and Jeremy Denk @ Verizon Hall.
Wonderful, dazzling recital with new music by Edgar Meyer.
8. Claremont Trio @ Gettysburg College.
All out playing by a vibrant ensemble!
7. Soprano Vira Slywotzky and composer Yehudi Wyner @ Songs of Innocence and Experience in Christ & St. Stephens Church.
Charm, humor and great communication set this performance in my mind.
6. Blair McMillen @ Italian Academy, Columbia University.
Technique was an afterthought, and musicality at the forefront with impeccable virtuosity in a completely modern program. Almost every composer on the program was in attendance, and in awe!
5. Kiri TeKanawa Farewell Recital @ Verizon Hall.
Hearing Kiri live, and in some of the most beautiful Strauss songs ever is hard to beat. Her encores were to die for!
4. Maria Bachmann & Jon Klibonoff play the Red Violin cd release party @ Merkin Hall.
Awesome playing, stellar interpretations and live composers, h00t!
3. Cellist Elinor Frey @ Casanovia Counterpoint premiering Steven Stucky's Dialoghi.
Charming, riveting solo work with touching, expressive lines.
2. Christian Tetzlaff, James Levine and the Boston Symphony @ Symphony Hall.
1. Helene Grimaud and NY Philharmonic members @ the Metropolitan Museum.
Stunning, passionate performances with flair, playing Brahms and Schumann chamber works.