Thursday, November 22, 2007

Breakin up is hard to do

My friend Derek has put up an interesting post about music and break ups.
I'll contribute my rather classical selections:

Gorecki's Third Symphony - this "Sorrowful Symphony" is linked with several special moments - which when hearing always brings back memories

Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony - the horn solo in the second movement is another powerful memory inducer

Lisa Ekdahl Now or Never - a jazz song that kills me everytime

Saint-Saens Mon cœur s'ouvre à ta voix - conducting it didn't make it any easier

Dvorak Cello Concerto - 3rd horn call in the first movement breaks my heart like the first time an orchestral player did the same

Schubert Cello Quintet - reading this chamber work didn't help the sorrow from seeing my lover playing it in the group

Conus Violin Concerto - ah, summer love lasts only so long

Bartok Violin Duos - more summer fun in Carolina

Bach-Busoni Chaconne - I can't hear it without having one performance in mind that melted me to the quick

Vivaldi Bassoon Concerto in A minor - I always remember the loss of a friend, from breast cancer, who coached this piece

Verdi Requiem - while also not a break up, I always think about losing my grandfather as his death coincided with a performance

No comments: