Thursday, March 02, 2006

More music, less talk

What a wonderful day. I started my Tuesday speaking with Steven Stucky, a composer I respect and enjoy very much. (Yes, last year's Pulitzer Prize winner - wait til you hear the interview!)

Then I spoke with Karen Gomyo who is the next violin soloist with the Harrisburg Symphony on April 1st.

After work I drove to Philadelphia to hear Gil Shaham and the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields at Kimmel Center.

It was fine, fine playing - and in fact the most authentic and idiomatic Mozart I've heard. More on that in a minute.

First though...I have to start a rant. You should not talk during a concert.
Let me reinterate. (or is that re-enter rant? hahaha)
DO NOT TALK WHILE MUSICIANS ARE PLAYING MUSIC.
DO NOT TALK DURING A CONCERT WHILE MUSIC IS BEING PLAYED!
It is highly rude to the musicians and to the performers to talk during a piece of music. Gosh, it's so rude it's not funny. If you have something to say to your friend, spouse, child, et al wait until the next movement or better yet, after the piece has finished to talk to them. It can wait, really.

Ok, back to Tuesday evening's performance. Lovely. Just right. Vital music making with gifted musicians. Gil sat as concertmaster for the Arensky. He left the stage, the wind players came in, they tuned and we were off for Mozart's "Turkish" Concerto (Number 5). Tempos were brisk, articulation was astounding and it seemed that the joy and humor of Mozart really shone. I've never heard such an original interpretation in my life of this. It felt like it was the way it should have been, what Mozart was really saying in the work. Accents came to life and had some "guffaw" to them. Gil was masterful in cuing players/parts, and the balance was just right. He remains the most gifted violinist alive. The second half brought Tchaikovsky with flair and joy. They encored a Mozart Divertimento.

I slipped back and got to say hi briefly (and loan Gil a sharpie for some other patrons/fans) - he went to school with my mentor David Perry. I hope Gil takes my offer to play in Las Vegas for the Chamber Music Society!

No comments: